Friday 12 September 2014

The Round-up - New York Fashion Week 2014

Daisy here! With the all excitement coming to an end and the catwalks shutting down in NYC I thought I'd post a round-up of some of my favourite shows from New York Fashion Week. There has been some really exciting stuff these past seven days and I have been pouring over live catwalk videos and photographs on Vogue.com. One day I will make it to the Front Row (or more likely the Back row, I don't care either way), but for now stalking Tommy Ton and Katie Grand's instagrams whilst I'm at work will just have to do. On with the show!


Oscar de la Renta

For me no collection evoked Spring being sprung more than Oscar de la Renta. The collection was packed with incredibly wearable pastel hues, spring florals, gingham and broderie anglaise - it was so damn girly and I absolutely loved it! It transports you into a world of garden parties, afternoon teas and days by the seaside all rolled into one: basically all the things that we really want Spring to be. As you may know by now I'm a sucker for vintage inspired clothing and de la Renta's clothing has stacks of retro appeal. What's really great for me about this collection is that whilst it is made from the finest fabrics money can buy, the silhouettes, patterns and style of the clothing (especially the more casual pieces) are totally replicable for those of us who can't afford to drop upwards of £2,000 on our summer dresses. 












See the full collection here: Oscar de la Renta

Coach

There were plenty of pastels at Coach too, but in a far more alternative guise. Full of furs, flares and fluro clogs this collection was all about slick, statement-making pieces - cool looking girls wearing really cool looking clothes. I know too well that in summer it is tempting to stick to the basics however these looks will definitely make me think twice before sticking on a same-old shorts and t-shirt combo. Taking inspiration from the American subcultures of skate and surf, relatively newly appointed creative director Stuart Vevers continued his overhaul of the traditional brand, calling the collection a celebration of 'beautiful oddness'. It is certainly not what the usual Coach customer has come too expect and has definitely sparked my interest in a brand I had previously, largely ignored. Its full of colour, texture and pattern, the skirts are short and the shapes are extreme -  and it pretty much rules. 





See the full collection here: Coach

Rodarte 

I always love clothes that manage to be industrial and tough whilst at the same being beautiful and ornate, and this Rodarte collection does exactly that. The tough comes from the army of masterful military jackets (pun intended) and lace up leather boots. There are leather straps, rivets, canvas, buckles and netting, however on the flip side there are flowers, sequins, beading, ruffles and glitter. These come from the dresses on show, that look like fronds of  ripped up fabric all sewn together in a manic mish-mash which sounds mad but looks truly gorgeous. All in all I love this collection - in theory its a mess, but in reality its a masterpiece. Don't even get me started on the pierced, punk eyebrows with the paired back and soft make-up *sigh*.








See the whole collection here: Rodarte


Altuzarra

Altuzarra's clothing is all about the woman who wears it and the sexy, classy, lady-woman inside me wants all this collection has to offer. Again gingham shows up, but this time in a sleek, sharp and very expensive looking way. There are skirt splits and plunging necklines aplenty but done with such elegance and focus on tailoring that it is never too much - these are clothes for grown ups and that is what I really admire. They continue the themes from other collections of bold pattern and bright colour but these designs are completely and unapologetically all-woman and now that I'm the ripe old age of twenty this is something I could definitely stand to incorporate into my own style. Slip on some of Altuzarra's slinky heels *cue Tom Jones 'She's a lady'* and you're good to go. 









See the full collection here: Altuzarra

Anna Sui

Holy mother of god. This Anna Sui collection is all of my 60s, 70s, bohemian, rock n' roll dreams come to life. This is seriously my dream wardrobe and because of that there's no way I can be neutral about it - I just know that I want it, I WANT IT ALL! There are so many patterns, colours and layers to theses looks that all come together in some sort of hippie dreamland. There are so many aspects of the late 60s going into the early 70s with floaty sleeves, kaftans, flares, capes and flowing skirts both long and short and would look totally at home in the wardrobes of Stevie Nicks, Janice Joplin or the late 60s Beatles. I'm going to have to stop gushing now so I'll  shut up and let the pictures speak for themselves. 








See the whole collection here: Anna Sui

Marc by Marc Jacobs

This is a collection also taking big inspiration from a bright and eccentric era but this time its 90s rave culture. In contrast to Anna Sui's romantic flowing creations Marc Jacobs brought loud block colours, boxy silhouettes and lots of latex. There's a lot of focus on circles, from the polka dot emblazoned clothing to the much talked about circular bags and gingham makes yet again another sneaky appearance as do pastel colours. Its tough and functional - with clean shapes and materials that look like you can wipe them clean, but still has all the rebellious appeal you want from a collection fueled by house music. The Marc Jacobs girl is anarchistic, cool and probably off to an illegal rave.







See the whole collection here: Marc by Marc Jacobs

Tommy Hilfger

Another collection packed with swinging 60s notes that I have completely fallen for is the festival inspired magic that is Tommy Hilfiger. The models floated through the mock fields in an array of looks with a distinctly woodstock-y vibe, in leather, crochet, fur and knit and with clusters of stars all over their bodies. Its a gorgeous and rich dreamland that I'm pretty sure I'd like live in all year round - even if the flowers are fake, the boots are real and I need them. I've been watching breton caps on eBay for a while and this magnificent collection has totally convinced me to make the purchase. I think I'm in love!








See the whole collection here: Tommy Hilfiger


Michael Kors 

Last but certainly not least is Michael Kors and what I loved the most about this collection is the simplicity. You want spring/summer? Well here it is, all served up in a clean, light, beautiful package. I've talked a lot about inspiration, and statement making, well this collection has only one inspiration and one statement to make and that is simply summer itself! Everything on the summery checklist is ticked off: florals, whites, nautical stripes, knotted shirts, spaghetti straps, off-the-shoulder, bright colours, tea dresses, gingham (AGAIN), sandals and lace, and it will all have you wishing that the sunshine would stick around a little bit longer.








See the whole collection here: Michael Kors




Right that's about it! Those we just a select few of the shows I have enjoyed this week, other shows I'd strongly recommend checking out include Jeremy Scott, Carolina Herrera, Libertine, Jenny Packham, Betsy Johnson, DKNY, Donna Karan and Vera Wang to name but a few. All of these shows and loads more are on vogue.com and for video streams of the catwalks go to newyorkfashionweek.com. Thank you so much for reading this, I really put a lot into this one and have thoroughly enjoyed doing so! Hopefully I will be back soon with something similar. 
Anyway, watch out for the Friday playlist later in the day - Its a tearjerker!

-Daisy


No comments:

Post a Comment