Monday 22 September 2014

Monday Madness: Oh You Pretty Things

THIS IS THE COOLEST THING EVER. Okay now I have that out of my system I can tell you about this weeks Monday Madness. This Monday I would like to bring your attention to 'Oh You Pretty Things: The Story of Music and Fashion' a series that started this week on BBC4 exploring the British love affair between rock and pop music and fashion. 

Seriously, this could have been written for me - I live for this stuff. This programme brings all my major interests together - there's fashion, social history, music, popular culture, counter culture and loads of SEQUINS and if you have any inclination towards any of the aforementioned topics then I promise you this is a must watch! Walk through any city or dissect any fashion week and you will see so many nods to the popular fashions of our past, but in the words of the show itself 'to understand why this golden past still matters we have to go back to where it all began' and that is exactly where we are taken.

The show immerses you in Britain's colorful past and takes you to a time when music and popular fashion were truly experimental and exhilarating, something that these days sometimes seems sadly lacking (why wasn't I 20 years old in the 60s?!). There is gorgeous archival footage and some truly incredible outfits that have really made me determined to attempt to make more of a statement with my everyday wear. I love out-there clothes, especially with a 60/70s aesthetic but often I am too lazy to really go for it! Anyway enough of me going on, if you want some killer fashion inspiration and magical music go and check out 'Oh you pretty things' at 9.00pm Wednesday on BBC4 or watch on iplayer and let the programme speak for itself. It is so worth watching I have managed to drag myself out of my 'Orange is the New Black' binge (which trust me was not easy) and I suggest everyone else who can does the same! Because I feel like this post needs some pretty pictures, here are just some of the styles covered in episode 1 'Tribes' as well as some music from The Only Ones, enjoy!




The Small Faces - Pioneers of Mod


Ultimate 60s babe Twiggy

Mid-sixties Biba advert


Psychedelic art by Nigel Weymouth
Psychedelia 
Into the 70s with Desmond Dekker and his short trousers

The Selecter and Ska revival

Watch them, or else.
Love Daisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment