Friday 12 September 2014

Friday Playlist: The Soppy One

Hello! Here we are again with some musical delights for the Friday Playlist and this week we're going to be a couple of soppy beggars and tell you the songs that make us cry - that's right we're getting deep. Well, tissues at the ready we might as well jump straight in!

Daisy

Alright, I'm just going to say it: I'm a crier, songs make me cry. There it is, I'm a big fat softy.

1. Don Mclean - 'Vincent'



Ok,  I admit this is a classic weep inducing song but I fall for Don Mclean's easy listening tribute to Vincent Van Gogh every time. I know a lot of people find this song a bit fluffy but the melody and the imagery of the lyrics really resonate with me - like many people including Mclean I find Van Gogh's paintings beautiful and his story incredibly tragic. Its fascinating that a song totally about someone else's life with no way of relating to your own can still move you. 

2. The Smiths - 'Please, please, please let me get what I want'


Now I know for a fact that I am not the first person in the world to cry at a Smiths song - lets be honest Morrissey knows how to make people feel all the feels. Now the lyrics are full of sadness, desperation and longing but what really gets me in this song is that damn mandolin solo! I feel like the whole song builds up to that moment and when it finally arrives I genuinely struggle to keep from welling up and apparently Morrissey agrees - he is known to visibly break down during this instrumental during live performances of the song.

3. Dog Is Dead - 'Two Devils'



This is a chilled and ethereal song but with some seriously creepy and weird lyrics, and played at a loud volume is really dramatic - all in all its pretty amazing. Its also pretty sad. With the vocal provided by lead singer Rob Milton feeling like there's real emotion behind it, this is a great soundtrack for when you're lying in bed, over-thinking things and generally feeling a bit miserable. As fans of Made in Chelsea might notice this is the song they used to play over all the dramatic scenes just before the ad break, proving that 'Two Devils' is seriously like totes emosh, yah  *cue awkward silence*. 

4. Keane - 'Bedshaped'


To be honest the less said about this song the better! Its a pretty good song and is quite sad but its not the music that makes me cry its the music video. I have vivid memories from when I was a child of seeing my dad watching this (Keane is a dad band after all) and having to leave the room in tears. This video seriously traumatises me and I still cannot stand to watch it - ITS SO UPSETTING! I'll let you guys judge for yourselves.

5. The Beatles - 'Real Love'



Ah this one is a real kicker. As anyone who knows me will be well aware I have a huge Beatles obsession and while many of their songs make me feel feelings this one has to be the epitome. 'Real Love' is a song written by John Lennon during the 60s but never released before his death in 1980 (cry) and then recorded with overdubs by the three remaining Beatles in 1995 as part of the anthology project (double cry) and besides all this Beatles based soppy-ness its a heartwarming love song in its own right. Funny story, the first time I ever heard this song was when me and my brother had just completed Beatles Rockband (an emotional activity to start with) and had received this song as an in-game reward as well as an accompanying interview with George, Paul and Ringo from 1995 talking about the song. Well needless to say this totally finished us off and we both burst into tears and ended up wiping our noses on a Hong-Kong Phooey sock. Yes I am really that sad. 


Lily

Ok, well when Daisy told me this week’s theme I knew I would struggle as I’m not the type of person to cry very easily. I get teased for being an ‘ice queen’ as I’ve only ever cried at one film (king kong) so I don’t often cry at songs either. But I’m not totally heartless, all these songs are sad and could definitely have the potential to make me tear up.



1. Gary Jules - 'Mad world'



This is an obvious choice as it’s a pretty universally known as being a sad song, it’s on loads of sad movies and adverts.  I quite like this song but you definitely have to been in the mood for it. the lyrics for this song are very sad, and you would have to be hard as nails (like me;) ) to not let this song make you cry.


2. Avril Lavigne - 'When you’re gone'


I remember listening to this song in my early teens and thinking it was the saddest thing ever, this probably did make me cry at some point as I was a 12 year old girl when it came out. Me and daisy were big Avril fans and have both been through phases when we wanted to look like her (Claire’s tie necklaces and all). The video for is very sad but it’s the old guy that nearly gets me, he’s so old, and cute, and sad.

3. Myles Kennedy - Hallelujah



This song is another universally known sad song, the lyrics are quite dark and it’s quite a stirring song. This version is by Myles Kennedy of alter bridge (who I love), he sings it really nicely and conveys lots of emotion. Ahh the ‘feels’.

4. Evanescence- 'My immortal'



This song is sad for obvious reasons, the lyrics are very sad and Amy lee’s voice is perfect for this kind of song. She can do the soft and powerful parts really well and it’s the bridge where she really belts it out that gets you most.

5. Queen - 'Who wants to live forever'



I remember watching the video this song when I was little for at my grandma’s house (she’s a massive queen fan). This song is really sad because Freddie mercury died so young and It’s quite relevant to him. The song was also written for the film highlander, it is featured in the scene in the film where ‘Connor MacLeod must endure his beloved wife Heather MacLeod growing old and dying while he, as an Immortal, remains forever young’.  I don’t know which what would make you cry more; the scene, or Christopher lamberts awful Scottish accent.  But nevertheless this song is definitely a tear jerker, and anything with a full orchestra in the background can definitely move you. My favourite part is 2.08 onwards. 


Don't mind us, we'll jut be over here weeping. :'(

-Daisy and Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment