Saturday 24 January 2015

Basics, Bitch

Huzzah, tis Daisy here with somethin' stylish. My style is generally always fairly busy - I love bright colours, patterns, bold accessories and lots of jewels, so it will come as no surprise that I don't really shop for what the fashion community had dubbed 'basics' or 'wardrobe staples'. If I'm out shopping, in charity shops or highstreet stores or independent shops, I will always gravitated towards the boldest and most unusual pieces - usually with a 60s/70s vibe. However, recently I have had my head turned somewhat by the really simple items that I would usually have ignored.

These garments can be found almost anywhere that sells clothing, from high end to cheap as chips which is one of the things that makes them great. Another is that they will never look dated or old-fashioned, they belong to a magical collection of garments that never go out of style, year on year and most likely never will. You can wear them all together to create cool-looking chic and timeless looks (that really look like you've put in a lot of effort when you haven't) or you can do what I mostly do and mix them in with your big fun pieces to make them a little more wearable - sometimes rainbow floral dungarees just don't go with mustard yellow bat-wing tops!

Here's a little bit of tumblr eye-candy to convince you...









These clothes don't shout, but whisper and yet still manage to make you look the bomb. Now I'm not all the way converted but this little collection of items is definitely enough for me for the time being! Without further rambling lets get into my recent purchases and top wardrobe essentials!  


(Okay I lied, there's a bit more rambling) I have a rant I need to get off my chest and it address's the term 'basic bitch'. I've used it in my title because I like puns but when used as an insult it pisses me off - I absolutely hate hearing women describing other women as 'basic bitches'. Sure I'm not obsessed with Starbucks, Ugg boots and Lush bath bombs but that doesn't make me any better or cooler than people who are. I really enjoy candles and videos of cute animals - does that make me basic?! Can people not like or be passionate about anything anymore? Enthusiasm is not lame and neither is liking things that are popular or 'mainstream' (hate that word too)! Okay, I'm finished.

On with the clothes....

A plain white t-shirt

Charity Shop
This is the most basic and classic of them all. You literally cannot go wrong. I got mine from a charity shop, but its originally from Primark - double cheap! I don't need to say much about this one - we'll let the t-shirt speak for itself.

A good pair of jeans


Topshop
The other half of the perfect couple - the white tee and jeans! Whatever shape takes your fancy a good quality pair of jeans are a must, something I'm only just realising after I spent about four years without any. These are the 'Jamie' pair from Topshop and they are very comfy, I'm also a big fan of what they do for my bum.


A black V-neck

Miss Selfridge

Another classic t-shirt that you can sling on any day of the week and look good. The v-neck seems to add an extra air of cool - I don't know why but I have the idea in my head that cool girls wear v-necks, like they're somehow so much edgier than round! Whats very nice about this one is it has a deep V at the front and the back, showing off some subtly sexy upper back action as well as the boobies at the front - saucy.

A long sleeved crop-top

H&M

I have been totally amazed by the amount of things this top goes with, its almost always in my washing basket because as soon as its clean I wear it again. Its soft, baggy and so easy to just fling on with a jazzy pair of bottoms when I can't be arsed to put an outfit together.

A flared mini-skirt

Charity Shop
Everyone loves a good mini and what could be better than Wimbledon white. You think I'm joking but this is an actual tennis skirt I picked up in a charity shop a few month before they became all the rage and American Apparel started selling them for fifty quid a pop. Flared skirts are really flattering and feminine and show of a healthy amount of leginess in the warmer months. 

A furry waistcoat thing

Bik Bok

Almost any outfit can be elevated to Kate Moss levels of cool rock bohemia with one of these little babies. This transformative power means I have to stop myself from wearing this every day and limit myself to around twice a week. I bought this in London while I was doing my year 10 work experience, proving exactly how much mileage these furry friends have in them.

A proper ladies handbag 

Accessorize

Its taken me 20 years but I finally have a nice, proper handbag. I was never attracted to this sort of structured bag until I spotted this one just before Christmas and fell in love. Its my new baby! It has the power to make all sorts of outfits look more put-together and chic which helps with my tendancy to dress like a five year old/hippy.

A black polo neck

Primark
Polo neck, turtle neck, roll neck - whatever you want to call them, I used to hate them with a passion so strong I thought they were the ugliest things to ever grace the earth. I used to half-joke that they were banned in our house and if my mum so much as caught a whiff of one I would give her a death stare to rival Medusa. However, after their come-back last year I am totally converted, the ban has been lifted and I'm hungry for more! They are surprisingly versatile and insanely chic-looking - I can't get enough. I do however have to pair them with something high-waisted otherwise I end up looking busty in all the wrong ways.

A wooly cardigan

H&M

Another item I cast aside in my foolish youth was the humble cardie. I thought they were dowdy and boring - oh how wrong I was. What I love about this one is that it is long and flowy, giving it the bohemian edge that I love so much and it is amazing for layering as well as on it own. Cardigan - you are a star and I'm sorry I ever doubted you. 


Well thats it from me! Have a lovely weekend,

Daisy.





No comments:

Post a Comment