Friday 6 February 2015

The Big Four - 06/02/2015

Hello! Happy Friday all, sorry we haven't been about for a while! Owing to the amount of times we have skipped doing the Friday playlist purely because it is such a time consuming and generally ball-achy task we've decided to shake things up. From now on we will be having a playlist once every month and on the other Fridays we will be posting this ....

THE BIG FOUR!

In these posts we'll both be choosing a film, book, song and TV show that we have been into the past week and recommending it to you, our discerning legions of fans (aka our family and friends - thanks for reading guys!). Hope you enjoy!

Daisy

Film - Whiplash


'A promising young drummer enrolls at a cut-throat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.'


            


I've been to the cinema quite a lot recently making the most of orange Wednesdays before they get rid of them on the 25th of Feb (cry), so I've seen a lot of very good new films and out of all of them Whiplash was the standout. When I read what it was about I really wasn't sure it sounded like my sort of thing, but from the minute it started I was completely, one hundred per cent enthralled. To say there isn't a lot of action or a complicated plot it is probably one of the most gripping films I have ever seen - when it was over I felt like I'd been holding my breath for half the time. J. K Simmons is so good and so terrifyingly unhinged you feel as if its you who is getting a chair flung at your head for not keeping the right drum tempo. The synopsis may not grab you but I could not recommend this film more!





Book - I'll Drink to That by Betty Halbreich



'Eighty-six-year-old Betty Halbreich is a true original. A tough broad who could have stepped straight out of Stephen Sondheim’s repertoire, she has spent nearly forty years as the legendary personal shopper at Bergdorf Goodman, where she works with socialites, stars, and ordinary women off the street.  But Halbreich’s personal transformation from a cosseted young girl to a fearless truth teller is the greatest makeover of her career.'


I first encountered Betty while watching the Bergdorf Goodman documentary 'Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf's' and as soon as I found out she had a book I knew I had to have it! I certainly wasn't disappointed - Betty's memoirs are as frank and hilarious as I was expecting. It is an amazing inside perspective on the world of fashion, offering up endless anecdotes and brilliantly honest (and sometimes scathing) opinions, as well as a very human story about one woman's incredible life. She talks about clothing and dressing in such an intimate way, describing it so vividly and making no apologies for loving what she does. For fans of fashion and sassy older ladies this is most definitely for you!

Song - Punky's Dilemma by Simon and Garfunkel 


                            

Simon and Garfunkel are my jam at the moment - I'm in one of those obsessive phases and I basically listen to nothing else. This has to be one of my favourite tracks for the unabashed simplicity of the music and complete silliness of the lyrics. To demonstrate here's a little sample - 'Wish I was an English Muffin, About to make the most out a toaster. I'd ease my self down, Coming up brown'. The whole thing is nonsense with a nice melody and that's why I like it so much.


TV Program - Arrested Deveopment


  1. 'Michael Bluth finds himself forced to stay in Orange County and run the family real estate business after his father, George Bluth Sr., is sent to prison for committing white-collar crime. He tries to juggle the wants and needs of his spoiled and eccentric family while being a good role model for his teenage son, George Michael.'



Arrested Development is pure genius. The show has been around since 2003 and, after being cancelled in 2006 and picked up again by Netflix in 2013, is still going strong. I watch this mostly alone in my room when I'm pottering about and it makes me laugh out loud to myself like a lunatic, which I'm pretty sure is the marker of good comedy. I'm only on the second series and it just continues to get funnier and funnier. There's not much more I can say to convince you of Arrested Development's greatness other than by telling you to watch it and see its genius for yourself. Have a Netflix binge, watch 4/5 episodes and you'll be hooked - do it, I know you want to! 


Lily

Film - X-men: Days of Future Past


'The X-Men send Wolverine to the past in a desperate effort to change history and prevent an event that results in doom for both humans and mutants.'

            


I only just got to see this film recently because I bought it for our dad for Christmas, and I didn’t get chance to go and see it, but it was definitely worth the wait - it was such an epic film! You can’t really go wrong watching Michael Fassbender (however much of a douche Magneto is) for over 2 hours. It’s an action filled superhero film with so many awesome people in it, it definitely makes you wish you were a mutant (it’s actually suggested that ginger hair is due to a mutation though– does that count?) I also have a total girl crush on Jennifer Lawrence because she’s badass.



Book - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


'Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. But Katniss has been close to death before-and survival, for her, is second nature'


I’m a little late on the hype as I only recently got into the hunger games film series, and I don’t know why it took me so long! I instantly became obsessed like everyone else, so I thought I should start reading the books because I’ve been told they’re really good.  I’m not very far in yet, but so far I’m really enjoying it. (A little?! From Daisy :P)



Song - Blank Space by I Prevail


            

This pop punk version of Taylor Swifts ‘Blank space’ is right up my street. I already quite like the original song (probably because my friends have been playing it non- stop) and this version just puts an awesome punk rock twist on it. I prevail are a post-hardcore group that have recently become more well-known because of this cover, and their new album ‘heart vs. mind’ is also worth a listen too. 



TV Program - Brooklyn 99


'Jake Peralta, an immature but talented NYPD detective in Brooklyn's 99th Precinct, comes into immediate conflict with his new commanding officer, the serious and stern Captain Ray Holt.'


I’ve recently got into watching Brooklyn 99, and I’m so glad I did because it is hilarious. I already loved Andy Samberg from his role in the BBC three program 'Cuckoo', and his role as Jake Peralta is just as brilliant. I also love Terry Crews because he is equally as funny, and he can make his pecks dance which is always amusing. Its all the characters that really make this program and why it makes me laugh so much, It is definitely worth watching!



Okay chaps, hope you enjoyed this weeks picks and perhaps even go out and sample some of them for yourself. Bysie-byeee!

Daisy & Lily.


No comments:

Post a Comment