Tuesday 10 February 2015

Monday Madness: Makeup Kit

Hello and welcome to this weeks Monday madness. Okay so it's actually Tuesday today, I had the post all ready last night but I had issues with uploading the pictures. But we promised you a Monday madness so i'm darn well going to give you one!
This weeks post is an inside look into my makeup kit, as I just bought loads more fun and slightly gross things to do makeup looks with. I'll also tell you all about the products and what you can do with them. enjoy :)
Warning: if you are at all squeamish, it might be best to skip this post :)

Okay, so my art box that I carry all my makeup in is one my dad bought me from hobby craft, it has 2 main compartments and 2 top compartments for all my brushes to go in. 








contact lenses

No sfx makeup kit is complete without coloured contact lenses, I only have 2 pairs at the moment but I've used them for several different looks. They are both 90 day wear and I got them from bluebanana.com 



























Rigid collodion
Rigid collodion is a really cool product, it is a scarring liquid that constricts the skin and makes it look scarred. You build it up in layers to make the scar deeper, and it smells very very strong – it started giving me a headache. Below is an example of 2 layers of rigid collodion on my hand, although it may be quite hard to see the proper effect.




Ben nye nose and scar wax
Ben nye nose and scar wax is a flesh coloured wax used to change the shape of features or to create wounds/scars. It is a very solid wax and takes a lot of faffing to get it looking natural, but the end result is really good. I bought the metal spatula and plate to go with this product because it is that difficult to handle.



Ben nye scab blood
Ben nye scab blood is a dark, congealed (lovely) blood used as a wound filler or to look like old blood. It has a really strange, almost jam-like consistency and I used this along with 3rd degree to create my Chelsea smile.

3rd degree
3rd degree is a silicon based product used to mimic the look of flesh to create wounds. You mix part A and part B in equal amounts to activate the product, you then apply it as wanted and let it dry. When it dries it has a rubbery flesh texture which is what I used for my the ripped skin on my Chelsea smile.




Wound filler - pus
Okay so this product is grossest of them all, I bought it as kind of a joke just to gross everyone out. But it turns it it’s going to be quite useful in a look I’m planning on doing soon. When it arrived it was actually a little less disgusting than I thought it would be, but then again – it’s still a pot of pus.



Elf ears
These are some little elf ear-tips I bought for another look I am planning – which everyone who knows me well can guess what it is going to be. The ears can also be used or pixie/fairy looks or any mythical creature with pointed ears really.



Liquid latex
This is a staple product for all beginner makeup artists like myself, it is what you use to learn the basics for sfx, and it can be used in so many different ways – it can be used for wounds, scarring, building up the face and as an adhesive.  I have probably used liquid latex in most of my looks. And it is only now when I’m starting to progress slowly, that I’m starting to use better alternatives such as the 3rd degree and the scar wax.





Blood
Stage blood is obviously essential to any sfx kit, this giant bottle is normal liquid blood that can be used for fresh wounds and blood spatter.



Wigs
I have used wigs in my looks before but I have only just purchased my first wig specifically for a look I am planning, this will give you a massive extra clue to what I’m going to be using the ears for. But hopefully there will be an unexpected twist to the look. The funny scrunched up things below are the wig caps I use before putting on the wigs.




Ben nye black tooth colour
The black tooth colour is used to temporarily stain the teeth with a black ink, this can be used to achieve the look of lost teeth (which I thoroughly enjoyed showing everyone on snapchat) or you can use it to change the shape of the teeth, e.g. to make them look pointed.




















Spirit gum
Spirit gum is an adhesive used to stick prosthetics to the face and also secure things such as bald caps – which I actually cannot find to include in the post. But I used a bald cap for my iron man look to give me that shiny bald metal head.






Mehron henna ink
Mehron henna ink is used to create temporary (2-4 day) tattoos, I bought this not really for makeup looks, but so I could draw pretty henna patterns on my hands.


Mehron water activated palette
This has to be one of my favourite buys, I think it was actually one of the first things I bought when I decided I wanted to do makeup. It is a 30 colour face paint palette including silver and gold. I have used this on every makeup look I have done so far, and the paints are absolutely brilliant.










Laroc 120 palette
I got this awesome palette for Christmas this year, it is a 120 colour eye shadow palette which includes every colour you could think of. I use this for everyday use and sfx.





Sili glass
This was one of my favourite buys from my recent order, it is a bag full of silica pieces made to look like shattered glass. It can be stuck to the skin easily and looks really realistic when placed inside a wound. I am yet to do a look using these yet, but I will very shortly.



False nails
False nails can be very useful in a makeup kit for a fast way of creating teeth, which I did for my alien queen look for our Wednesday feature ‘what would you wear if…’.



hope you enjoyed this slightly bizarre post, apologies again for it being late! also be on the look out for loads of new makeup looks in the next few weeks! - Lily x

No comments:

Post a Comment