Wednesday 12 November 2014

What Would You Wear If...? #8

Bonjour mon ami, Daisy here! Its my turn to take the fashion challenge which this week is distinctly Belgian flavoured. This is one of my absolute favorite outfits so far - that Lilian knows what I like. This week we're off back in time again and asking; what would you wear if...

You were in an Agatha Christie story?


In our house watching Poirot and Miss Marple stories is somewhat of a ritual - we have all the box sets and come the Christmas holidays you will invariably find me, Lily and our Mum all snugged up, by the fire, with an brew, watching a televised Agatha Christie novel (my idea of bliss). I immediately decided I wanted to base my outfit around a Poirot story as although I do love old Marple, Poirot is my main man when it comes to detectives, especially when played by the inimitable David Suchet. We have such a connection to him as a character that it took us well over a year before we could bring ourselves to watch Curtain: Poirot's Last Case (yes we are that sad). On with the outfit...

Poirot features in stories that span all the way from 1920 to his death in 1975 (after which he became the only fictional character to get an obituary on the front page of The New York Times) so I really could have gone anywhere clothes-wise. In the end I decided to go with something akin to the 20s and 30s, the era in which a lot of Poirot's most notorious cases take place. My outfit has elements of both decades with the 20s favourite cloche hat combined with a more 30s nipped-in style silhouette. I even went full on Poirot and wore patent shoes - the only type of footwear our mustachioed Belgian sleuth would be caught dead in (although probably not in stiletto form). I really enjoyed putting this look together and swishing about the house in it afterwards feeling all lovely and ladylike - all I need to do now is get myself off to a country house filled with aristocrats and wait for someone to get bumped off! 

For some reason the pictures came out a bit weird and grainy but hopefully that just adds to the period effect?! My hat is river island and the rest of my outfit is from Charity shops.










Au revoir, mes cheris!

Daisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment