Monday 10 November 2014

Monday madness: Favourite Albums

Hello again! Lily here, finally back to regular blog posts as promised. Today's Monday madness is all about my favourite albums, and my favourite songs from them. Although we have Friday playlist, this gives me a chance to share whole albums and tell you just why I love them so much.

Slash - apocalyptic love & world on fire



Apocalyptic love is slash's second album, the first as a collective band with Myles Kennedy of Alter bridge and the conspirators. It was released in 2012 and I'm still just as obsessed with it. All the songs on the album are so good and are all classic heavy rock songs. Bad rain is one of my favourite songs because it is such a cool song and the video is totally badass.
Other favourite songs: Apocalyptic love, You're a lie, Anastasia
 Link to the whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5rRH6OWt58


 World on fire is slash's latest album that was released in September this year I got my tickets for Leeds before I even heard the album and pre-ordered the CD I was so excited for its release. And it did not disappoint! The whole album is amazing and I have been listening to it on repeat since I got it. Beneath the savage sun is one of my favourite songs because it has a really raw guitar sound to it and Myles vocals are sooo good as usual. The song is also about an elephant who lost his elephant friend to poaching and the way it's conveyed is really clever.
Other favourite songs: Shadow life, World on fire, 30 years to life, The unholy
 Link to the whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSBJL-Wo9xM

Alter Bridge - Blackbird & Fortress


Alter bridge have to be one of my favourite ever bands, and they're just as good live as they are in a studio. Blackbird is their second album released in 2007, and I am again still obsessed with it even now. The lyrics in their songs really make the album special because they cover so many different areas within just one album. Myles Kennedy has to be one of the best songwriters and vocalists in rock at the minute (sorry for the ass kissing).White knuckles is one of my favourite songs because it's a really heavy track with awesome guitar riffs.
Other favourite songs: Ties that bind, Blackbird, Come to life, Coming home
Link to the whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iN0QRqSlNA



Fortress is Alter bridge's latest album that came out last year, I saw them perform this live in Manchester alongside Halestorm and Shinedown who I am also a fan of. This album is so amazing and lyrically genius, and it contains many of my favourite ever songs. I had to choose waters rising as the example because it is such an epic song with both Myles kennedy and Mark tremonti on vocals. It gradually increases in pace and volume into an awesome heavy track that just gives me goosebumps when I listen to it.
Other favourite songs: Fortress, Addicted to pain, Cry a river, Bleed it dry
Link to whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFSP_n3llTU&list=PL0P5C03KW2qA6hgfzVyo9kRzrcKV_PR98

Metallica - S&M


I thought Metallica couldn't get any more awesome, but then I heard the live S&M album with the San Francisco orchestra and I peed in my pants a little. The addition of the orchestra just makes the whole album even more badass and epic. Metallica again have to be one of my favourite ever bands as everything I like about rock and metal is included in their albums (powerful vocals, awesome guitar riffs, heavy drums, leather trousers and long 80's metal hair) The memory remains is one of my favourite songs off the album as it is a fast tempo metal song with plenty of classic James Hetfield 'YEEAAAHHHS' which is all a Metallica fan could ask for. They're also just as good if not even better when performing live.
Other favourite songs: Fuel, No leaf clover, Nothing else matters, Enter sandman
Link to the whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Hgy_L3eXc

The Pretty Reckless - Going to Hell



I liked a couple of songs off The pretty reckless' previous album 'light me up' but It's the album Going to hell that was released this year that has made me a full on fan. Taylor Momsen's songwriting and vocals have gotten even better and all the songs are the perfect raw rock songs that I love. Going to hell is one of my favourite tracks because it's the perfect mixture of soft and gravelly vocals. also the video is really cool (total girl-crush on Taylor going on).
Other favourite songs: Follow me down, Heaven knows, fucked up world, sweet things, absolution
Link to whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0VSI_kEekk

Heavens Basement - Filthy Empire


I have been in love with heavens basement since I heard them on scuzz last year, and I traveled 3 hours to go and see them because it was the only show I could go to. It was one of the best gigs I've been to because it was so up close and personal, and loud, and sweaty, and awesome. Their whole album is filled with classic heavy rock tracks that I happily sit and listen to on repeat. They are also touring with the pretty reckless at the moment, which I really hope I can go to If I can just find someone to go with me.
Other favourite songs: Nothing left to lose, Heartbreaking son of a bitch, Welcome home, Executioners day, Lights out in london
Link to whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYt8wXj7bfI&list=PL-K1HfAYErhSVoYvD942eI19S8yMFkXhO

Guns N' Roses - Greatest hits


 I have been a Guns N' Roses fan ever since my mum and dad used to play me them when I was little, and I'm still a massive fan of the new and old Guns N' Roses. I used to love Axl rose so much when I was younger that I would dress up like him, because I have such a similar colour hair to him when he was young. I still love Axl and Slash and they are both on my 'rogues gallery' (as my mum calls it) of pictures of awesome people on my wall. I actually got to go and see them in Manchester for my 15th birthday and it was like a childhood dream being able to see Axl Rose live. It obviously had to be the greatest hits album because all the best tracks from all the albums are in it, so I get to include all my favourites, Welcome to the jungle has to be my all time favourite jut because it's epic. I don't think I need to justify that statement as you all know it's true, but to name a few bits to back that up (the intro riff, the amazing vocals, the guitar solo etc.)
I can now also say I have seen all the classic Guns N' Roses songs performed by both Axl and Slash - just not together :'(.
Other favourite songs: Sweet chid O' mine, paradise city, civil war, Live and let die, You could be mine
Link to whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZgMBgVKAjE

Marmozets - Weird and Wonderful



Marmozets are a recent favourite of mine, only discovering them a couple of months ago. But their album the weird and wonderful is so good. Their lead singer Becca Macintyre has the most incredible voice and I wish I could sing like her  - but alas I am tone deaf. I have been listening to the album none stop for the oast few weeks and I hope to go and see them soon as well.
Other favourite songs: Hit the wave, Why do you hate me?, Captivate you, 'Move, shake hide', Back to you
Link to whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afX5kz9hfHI&list=PLIZbgHQHxSJX5_ONnXNPGAX0ZT66ic9Y3

I hope you enjoyed this insight into some of my favourite albums, and any fellow rock and metal lovers can follow me on spotify for many more similar tracks and new music @lilyorrell :)
Back on wednesday for a fashion challenge! byeee x

No comments:

Post a Comment