Tuesday 8 September 2015

Man Shirts, Short Skirts - Raiding my Boyfriends Wardrobe

Yes, that was a Shania Twain reference and I am not ashamed of it! I'm pretty sure all girls reading this who currently have a man in their lives/beds, will have either a t-shirt or a hoody that they have adopted for relaxing in - I don't know why, but there is nothing more comfortable than an oversize mans t-shirt, amiright?

In this post however I will be attempting to create wearable outfits using my boyfriend Hayden's clothes and hopefully show that menswear is not just for sleeping in!

The inspiration for this post came from a video by my hero/icon/QUEEEN Jen Im of the YouTube channel Clothesencounters. I will link her video at the bottom.


T-shirts


A good way to ease yourself in to wearing boy-clothes is a simple t-shirt. Here I've tried to do two looks, one for day and one for night, to show the versatility of a mans t-shirt.


Haydens: T-shirt  - ASOS
Mine: Skirt - H&M, Boots - Forever21, Choker - a £1 shop!

Wearing a mans graphic T-shirt for a night out is easier than you think - just squeeze into a tight skirt to suck in your wobbly bits, get on some stilt level boots and own it (whatever that means! :P).




Hayden's: T-shirt - Topman
Mine: Skirt - New Look, Shoes - New Look, Belt - Primark, Furry Thing - Bik Bok

For a more casual look I just took this stripey number and again tucked it into a skirt and added my favourite furry thing. You could wear shorts, jeans, wear it under a dress - the sky is the limit for you and your baggy T. 


Trousers


Now, you might think with Hayden coming in at 6ft and me at a significantly more minuscule 5ft 5in then trousers would be a total no-go. However, my freakishly dis-proportioned limbs (seriously my torso is tiny -  I blame it entirely for my shortness) mean that Hayden's trousers are a remarkably good fit! Obviously this won't be the case for everyone but if it is then I would definitely say go for it. Real men's jeans are far more comfy than women's 'boyfriend fit' jeans, and you don't need to bother buying them! 


Hayden's: Trousers - Topman
Mine: Top - American Apparel, Shoes - Primark, Bag - Accessorize, Belt - Primark

Apologies for the blurry face in these pictures, not sure what happened, but at least you can see the trousers! I'm a huge fan of tartan so I absolutely love these and they demonstrate how 'boyfriend trousers' can work just as well as jeans.



Hayden's: Jeans - Topman
Mine: Blouse - Next, Shoes - Primark, Tassel Thing - Vintage (Grandma's)


Aaaaand here they are, the real boyfriend jeans. I've girlied them up here with a flowy blouse and some slinky heels.




Outerwear


Lastly I'm tackling jumpers and shirts - things that can work brilliantly for keeping cozy and looking smart. Again I've gone for a casual and a more dressy look to really show off the versatility your man's threads can have. 




Hayden's: Shirt - Next
Mine: Trousers - Topshop, Bralet - eBay, Boots - New Look, Bag - Primark

Here I've gone for a sort of un-done tailored look, using a crisp suit shirt over these tapered leg trousers and lacy bralet and finished off with boots - pairing masculine items with something a bit sexier to make a (hopefully) classy evening ensemble.



Haydens's: Jumper - New Look
Mine: Shorts - Charity Shop, Boots - River Island, Hat - H&M

This is easily the most casual look I made but it is still perfectly acceptable for venturing out in public! I pretty much lived in this jumper for the last few (stressful) weeks of uni and after this treatment as a veritable comfort blanket it is still one of my absolute favourite things to borrow.


Hope you enjoyed my boyfriend-borrowed outfits! Why not instantly double your wardrobe and get borrowing yourself? 

Lots of lurrve, 

Daisy.




Jen's Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment