Sunday 15 February 2015

The Round Up - S/S 2015 Couture

Hurray! Its couture time and of course that means the most luxurious and extravagant looks we will see go down the runway this season, presented to us by the big powerhouses of fashion. Here I'll be counting down some of my favourite couture collections just in time for the ready-to-wear shows that kicked off in New York earlier this week. Prepare yourselves, its gonna get fancy...


1. Valentino









The mood board for this collection featured Shakespeare quotes and pieces of Dante's inferno and the elements of fantasy, romance and drama brought by these source materials definitely shine through. There's a taste of the medieval with ruffs and corsets prevalent throughout, and the lines of text that litter the garments, hand embroidered in beautiful sequins, are such a gorgeous and unusual touch. There is one word in particular that springs to my mind when I look at this collection and that is dreamy - these are the sort of clothes your float about in in your wildest, girly, fairy-tale day-dreams, picking flowers in meadows and getting off with hot poets in white baggy shirts. Sign me up! 

See the whole collection here: Valentino


2. Elie Saab











If Valentino's collection was the stuff of fairy-tale fantasy, Elie Saab is the dream wardrobe of an all-woman, unadulterated, unapologetic glamour-puss. As you may be able to tell by the fact that I have ten looks from this show I had rather a hard time narrowing down which I liked best as they were all so insanely gorgeous. Sure there isn't really anything crazy or experimental here but who cares when the clothes are this beautiful? Covered in sequins, tulle and feathers this collection is so girly yet still so sexy that its giving me shortness of breath - if I were ever to get my hands on one of these dresses I would probably just die.

See the whole collection here: Elie Saab

3. Chanel










Spring was really in full bloom at Chanel's crazy, amazing paper jungle show, with everything Karl Lagerfeld could get his hands on smothered in bright and beautiful flowers. This collection was bursting at the seams (if you'll pardon the pun) with fun, liveliness and opulence, qualities that make for a gorgeous couture collection - these clothes were so intricately embellished that they have this quality that makes them really come out of the screen and makes me want to touch them!
All these fantastical looks were anchored, interestingly, by flat, black boots, something I'm always happy to see on the runway seeing as they are what make up around 60% of my shoe collection. If anything I'm ecstatic to see Chanel stepping somewhat away from the boucle jackets they are so know for (and I hate!!) and giving us something youthful and FUN!! 

See the whole collection here: Chanel

4. Versace 











At Versace this season it was all about THE BODY! In a palette of just black, white, red and blue, Versace's latest collection was focused on curves, winding themselves around the model's bodies and putting huge emphasis on the female form. There were cut-outs, cleavage and thigh-high splits galore - just ask Jourdan Dunn who went down the runway in quite literally half a dress and looked smoking hot in the process! It was all so god damn sexy!!! What I really loved was the lack of intricate beading and embellishment, which many couture collections often rely on too heavily to get that knock-out effect, and instead a strong focus on cut and shape - and wow was it a nice shape.

See the whole collection here: Versace

5. Giambattista Valli










Frills, frills and more frills. This collection was a feminine masterpiece in pinks, florals and fluff, the couture equivalent of sugar spice and all things nice. It was all out girly-ness, not for the faint-hearted and I loved it. Every single look was so detailed and flattering and so BEAUTIFUL - especiallyof course that finale dress worn to amazing effect by Rihanna at the Grammys last week. Now someone tell me where I can get one of those face net, bow headbands - I want it!!

See the whole collection here: Giambattista Valli

Had to get this in somewhere!

Well there we have it, my five fave couture shows! Hopefully I'll be back very soon with round-ups for all four fashion weeks to follow (and that's a big hopefully!). Hope you enjoyed...

Daisy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment