Friday 21 November 2014

Friday Playlist: Favourite Glee Performances

ITS HERE! FINALLY!!! Yes, here it is. Our first Friday playlist in about two months, hurray! So no waffle, lets get straight into it, here we have our favourite Glee performances - we never actuallly pretended to be cool.
All the songs will come from seasons 1-3 (aka the golden age) simply because we stopped watching after that...

Daisy


      


1. How Will I know - Whitney Houston 

I love this song in its original and classic Whitney version, however Glee's simple A Capella version really hits the spot. A lot of the time I find slowed down, schmaltzy, vocal versions of big pop hits a bit annoying however I find this stripped back 'How Will I know' really beautiful. I have been singing this in the shower a lot recently and murdering the harmonies - I would highly recommend. Also with helpful Spanish subtitles if anyone needs those.


     

2. Paradise By The Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf

I always thought the cast of Glee were at their best doing a big, song-and-dance, all-out, ensemble number and this one is one of my all time favourites. There are matching dresses, synchronised dance routines, lots of key changes and sexually suggestive lyrics - what more do you want from a Glee perfomance?! It really kicks off at the 'Will you love me forever?' section - I dunno it just really gets me going (in a mostly non-sexual way). To give you a mental image of me whilst I watch this song - imagine a grandma at a really lively Barry Manilow gig - basically there's lots of bopping.


               

3. Like a Prayer - Madonna 

This one features another classic and wonderful Glee staple - Gospel choirs appearing out of nowhere! The Madonna episode was always going to be sassy and amazing, there were a few I could have picked but this is my personal favourite Madge song. Now as admitted by the show, it sometimes seems like Mercedes (played by Amber Riley) is just brought in to do the huge, wailing notes, however watching this you can see exactly why.


               

4. The Journey Medley

Of course I had to get some Journey in there, but this is really the Journey to end all Journey! Starting with "Faithfully", "Anyway you want it/Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'" and finishing on the song that started it all "Don't Stop Believing" - this performance from the season 1 finale manages to squeeze in four classic Journey songs and is simply amazing. Seriously 'Faithfully' gives my chills - is that really embarrassing? I think this is just about as unashamedly 'Glee' as you can get and that is exactly why I love it so much.


Lily




1. Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson

This is already an awesome song and although the singing is really good, it’s actually ‘the 2 cellos’ that I really like about this cover. That is some seriously impressive and badass cello playing! I didn’t think I’d explain playing the cello as badass but it really is, and it perfectly builds the tension for this song battle.




2. Start Me Up/Livin' on a Prayer - The Rolling Stones/Bon Jovi

I love the mash up of these two classic songs together and the performance which was a bit different to their usual preppy routine. Although Rachel does over-egg it a bit with her dancing which makes me cringe, it’s still a cool performance. I also really like Mercedes vocals in this song because she sings a bit more rock which I will obviously enjoy.




3. Raise Your Glass - Pink (Mini Warbler Version)

Technically this still counts because I do like this cover, and I like the warblers, but I had to choose this just for the mini warbler because he’s the cutest thing ever. He also has the dance moves down to a T which is impressive to say he really is miniature.





4. Run Joey Run - David Geddes

I for some reason enjoy this Glee cover just because it’s strange and hilarious. I remember watching the episode with this in, which was really funny because of Rachel’s brilliant video. Me and daisy also pissed our pants laughing at the video because of the way Jesse walks at the end, childish but funny.


Daisy & Lily

We both have one favourite in common in common and that is Matthew Morrison and Neil Patrick Harris performing this little baby...




5. Dream On - Aerosmith 

Lily- I already love the original of this song and I have this cover on my phone because I think it’s so good, the vocals are insanely good especially the high note at the end, not many men could pull that note off! Plus who doesn’t love a good sing off?!  This would definitely be my song of choice for a street song battle, you know, if I went to those…

Daisy - Like Lil says its the high note that makes this one! I don't really like using 'EPIC' to describe things but sometimes there is no other way! These two give such a brilliant performance that I think is better that the Aerosmith original - old Steve Tyler can't hit notes like that one. I have to say however. neither can I and that definitely doesn't stop me trying. Plus - Lil I would pay good money to see you in a street song battle! (If only they existed)


Okay so there are our top picks. Now to finish, as a little bonus, we thought we'd share with you the most heinous, awful, embarrassing, gouge-your-eyes-out terrible thing to ever happen on Glee - that's right it's Matthew Morrison (aka Mr.Schue) doing 'The Thong Song'. Good luck erasing this from your memories...

         


Christ!

Anyway hope you enjoyed this playlist - RIP Cory Monteith, you were a brilliant Finn. 
We should be back with another playlist next week but we'll make no promises - its taken us two months to get round to this one!
Byeeeee!

Daisy and Lily.

No comments:

Post a Comment